The “Five Points/Chinatown/Little Italy” walking tour goes off the beaten path, exploring districts and aspects of our neighborhood most excursions overlook. Sure, we’ll discuss the tenements and immigrant experience in detail, but we’ll go beyond the familiar narrative and cover a thousand years of important history; from Native Americans to modern-day gentrification.
Utilizing generations of insight, rare maps, photos, documents, articles and oral histories not found elsewhere, LESHP digs deep into the neighborhood’s forgotten history.
Visited on tour:
- The notorious Five Points, former Irish and African enclave
- Former Italian immigrant/tenement districts
- Historic churches, theaters, restaurants, shops
- Popular landmarks and sites of interest
Discussed on tour:
- Truth about the movie, “Gangs of New York”
- How the neighborhood evolved into a renown tenement district
- Various ethnic populations and influences
- Tenement life
- Changes presently affecting the Lower East Side
- And much more!
Every Saturday at 2:00PM
$20pp. RSVP REQUIRED
Location: Foley Square (at the “Triumph of Human Spirit” fountain/sculpture)
Directions: J, Z to Chambers Street or 4, 5, 6 to Brooklyn Bridge
View Google map/get directions
Look for this fountain/sculpture in the park:
Book this tour:
You can book now and pay cash on day of the tour – or pay in advance online (with a small fee).