Though the East Village is part of the traditional Lower East Side, the district has developed its own identity over the last half century as an epicenter of radical arts and activism in America. However -- the neighborhood's counterculture dates way back to the the 19th century when socialism, communism, and anarchism were taking root here, reshaping the political and cultural landscape of the country.
On this tour, we will explore 150+ years of unconventional ideals which forged the East Village's unique identity.
- St. Marks Place, Tompkins Square Park, Alphabet City
- Community gardens and former squats
- Former labor union halls
- Iconic landmarks, cultural sites, eateries and points of interest
- Much more!
- Punk rock, jazz, folk music, experimental theater, Beat culture
- Activism, labor unions, strikes and riots
- Waves of contributing immigrant groups: German, Eastern European, Puerto Rican, etc.
- How the neighborhood became "The East Village"
- How the district is changing today
- Much more!
ON HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE (Still available as a private tour)
Location: No. 7 Second Avenue, NW corner of 2nd Ave & E. Houston St. (outside Avalon Chemist)
Directions: F train to "2nd Ave/Lower East Side" stop
View Google map/get directions
Michael Zwack has lived on the Lower East Side for 37 years. As an internationally exhibited artist, Michael was part of a group in the 1970s designated "The Pictures Generation" by Metropolitan Museum curator Douglas Eklund. Michael is a veteran, licensed tour guide and active community member who is passionate about the history of the Lower East Side and New York City.
(Tour sometimes guided by Eric Ferrara)
Eric Ferrara is a fourth-generation Lower East Sider and founder of Lower East Side History Project. He is author of several popular books, including "Lower East Side: Then & Now" and "Lower East Side: Oral Histories". He is also a consultant and on air personality for several movies and television shows including HBO, History Channel, BBC, Discovery and many more. Learn more about Eric here.